As winter approaches & summer fades away, we tend to pack away our vibrant colors & reach for the colors that depict how we feel about the change in weather…… grays, blacks, grays & blacks ….. basically, blah colors! Look around you, find inspiration with the colors of fall & take advantage of this transitional weather to wake up any outfit.
Think in Reverse!!! Head straight to your closet & find a rich, bold hue that you rarely wear or save for that special occasion. It could be pants, a skirt, dress, oversized knit sweater ….. Use this as your starting point! Then, incorporate neutrals or pastels to calm the entire look.
My paprika-orange culottes are impossible to ignore, but this attention-getting hue plays well with so many items in my closet. Since it wasn’t too cold out this past week, my striped, short-sleeved knit was the ideal pairing. The gray, black & taupe in my top, lace-up oxfords heels & clutch grounds this intense color. Here is a quick lesson in mixology:
- orange / navy blue & slate (maybe even wine)
- sienna (burnt orange/rich brown ) / charcoal & cream (maybe add a pop of faded blue)
- fiery red / neutral greys & navy blues & stark white
- crimson red / chocolate brown & sand
- merlot / espresso, soft pinks & camel
- mustard / cognac
- velvety purple or vibrant cobalt / gold or mustard yellow accents & black
- shocking neon citron / pewter or navy
- Neon pink / grey even pale pink
Just remember, today’s lesson is to leave your comfort zone, start with a bold hue & end with a neutral. These intense shades really do go with almost anything & is way more fun than basic black, no?!?!?
Clutch is Kent Stetson