So the 90s were big for me! I just graduated high school & thought I was a rebel because I left my home state of Oklahoma to attend college. This was the decade of the grunge girl! Meaning you stole one, if not all, of your dad’s plaid shirts! I coupled mine with slouchy, cut-up t-shirts, tied them around my waist & added the biggest pair of un-flattering, ripped jeans or cut-off shorts I could find….. a size or two larger than you should normally wear was a must!
Fast forward 25 years, plaid has proved it’s staying power & I don’t see it going out of style. There are countless ways to still enjoy this easy print. You have more choice with colors, patterns, fabrics and styles. Beyond the plaid shirt, I found plaid winter coats, jackets, capes, shirtdresses, midi skirts, slim pants, even sneakers & heels. Wait! My husband has a plaid-printed belt…. Hmmmmm, think I need to borrow that from him, too! My goal was to try & steer away from the baggy, oversized, “don’t care attitude” & dress up my plaid, so it could work for the office or even a date night. By adding polished patent boots, a fitted midi dark denim skirt & a delicate necklace hit the mark!
OUTTAKE!!! I WAS RUNNING!!! (…. insert Forrest Gump!)
So many options. Re-work your closet!
- Plaid button down – chunky sweater – dark fitted denim – knee-high boots
- Plaid button down – skater skirt – ballerina flats – long, delicate necklace
- Plaid – slim pants – sweater vest – loafers
- Plaid button down – puffer jacket – boyfriend jeans – sneakers
- Plaid midi skirt – slim turtleneck – pumps/heels
- Plaid button down – pencil skirt – mid-calf booties
- Plaid button down – leather/faux leather pants – heels
- Plaid button down – denim – leather/faux leather jacket – ankle booties
- Current Inspiration: Plaid shirt – sequin skirt – denim jacket – flats or heels
- Summer inspiration: Plaid button down – Bermuda shorts – sandals
Leather sleeveless top is Tobey Grey