Ageless Style Link-up!
Nine fabulous, over 40 fashionistas take on a theme! The first Tuesday of each month our looks are reveled, & here we are today, showcasing “How to Style a Utility Jacket”!
Definition of a Utility Player: is one who can play several positions competently, a sort of jack of all trades….
Based on this definition, then that’s what I wanted to be as a child/teenager. I wanted to be a utility player. I wanted to be everything for everyone! If I could fill multiple roles would that make me extremely valuable? Would I be more liked/loved?
Reality: I wanted to be liked by everyone, accepted by all. Who doesn’t? We all want to belong.
- I wanted to be the person who invited the lonely, shy person to join the group.
- I wanted to be the person who made an awkward situation feel comfortable for everyone.
- I wanted to brilliant, smart & self-reliant for my father.
- I wanted to unconditionally loving, kind & patient for my mother.
- I wanted to be the funny sister for my brothers.
- I wanted to be the positive one, a great athlete for my closest friends.
- I wanted to appear classy to all the popular girls in school.
- I wanted to be the nurturing one/the fixer in my relationships.
- I wanted to be a risk-taker to all the cool kids.
Did I really think I possessed that much pure talent? Who was I kidding? I soon learned that was impossible, & most importantly, stupid. I was easily swayed as a child & had not learned to think for myself. I didn’t fully form my OWN value system. Not sure about all of you, I definitely had an identity crisis as a child/teenager. I tried to be so perfect at so many things for others around me; I didn’t know who I was & how to be my own utility player.
I know our roles change as we age, but as an adult, I STILL want to be perfect, helpful, versatile for others around me. I don’t think that mindset will ever leave the deepest core of who I am as Diane. I have just finally learned to be my own utility player! I’m forming my own value system, learning skills that bring me joy & creating that environment that’s positive for others & myself.
This leads me to my look for this month!
I’ve had this jacket for ages & paired it with many looks. This is definitely a utility player in my closet. It works year round, goes with a ton of colors & doesn’t spend much time on a hanger. It’s been layered over turtlenecks, plaid button-downs & denim, worn with tanks, cutoffs & converse shoes, jumpsuits, culottes, midi dresses & flatform sandals, even a sequin dress with ankle boots & sequin pants with pointy-toed pumps.
Today, this jacket doubles as a dress as the temperature was still warm! I paired it with strappy, mary jane blocked heels. But, it would have worked nicely with flatform oxfords, loafers, blocked heeled booties, high-top sneakers & so much more.
This utility jacket has filled so many roles. It makes me feel strong & tough (can I say that?). Not tough mean, but tough, tough that I can handle any situation that’s thrown at me. It adds a little edge & a downtown cool girl vibe to my looks.
- Utility Jacket: Zara from seasons past
- Indigo Rd. Strappy Mary Jane Block Heels from DSW
- Double-chain Color Block Bag: Express
- Chain Bracelet: Red Pinapple Boutique in St. Augustine Fl.
- Sunnie: Leaf Boutique
Let’s head over to the link-up! Check out my 8 co-hosts & their Ageless Style blog posts! These ladies have so much style & it’s fun to see their unique looks.
Linkup Guidelines! It’s so simple!
- Please visit at least 2 other links. Such a great way to meet & make new friends!
- Link to your actual post & not your blog’s homepage.
- Please link back to Ageless Style Linkup in your linked post.
- Feel free to use #AgelessStyleBlogges in all your social media posts.
- Definitely leave a comment.
- Most of all, Have Fun!